Probiotics for treatment of acute diarrhea in children
Researchers at the University of Naples tested five different preparations in 571 children with acute diarrhoea. All the children were aged 3-36 months and were visiting a family paediatrician with acute diarrhoea. Children were randomly assigned to receive either a specific probiotic product for five days (intervention groups) or oral rehydration solution (control group).
Duration of diarrhoea was significantly lower in children receiving Lactobacillus GG and a mix of four bacterial strains than in patients receiving oral rehydration alone. The three other preparations had no significant effect
Secondary outcomes were similar in all groups and no side effects were recorded
They conclude: the efficacy of probiotic preparations for the treatment of acute diarrhoea in children is related to the individual strains of bacteria, and physicians should choose preparations based on effectiveness data.
- Probiotics important to increase immunity against diseases in children (bestprobiotic21.wordpress.com)
- Preparation and Use of Ors – Oral Rehydration Solution (bolahealth4community.wordpress.com)
- Probiotics during Pregnancy won’t Help Prevent Asthma: Study (scienceworldreport.com)
- My child has had diarrhea for two days. I’m worried about dehydration. How should I treat this? (milestoneskids.wordpress.com)
- Drip Drop Contributes to Aid Efforts in The Philippines (prnewswire.com)
- Delayed-Release Capsules Increase the Helpful Effect of Probiotics (markets.financialcontent.com)
- Pneumonia and diarrhea continue to be the leading killers of children under the age of five (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Probiotics, Prebiotics May Benefit Children (dustindholmes.wordpress.com)
- Probiotics important to increase immunity against diseases in children (mynutritionalneeds.wordpress.com)
- Can Probiotics Cause Dog Diarhea? (dog-health-guide.org)